Conditions and Treatments
Conditions and treatments for Women's Health
At UVA, expectant mothers with normal pregnancies will receive excellent prenatal care and a positive, memorable birthing experience. Our birthing rooms - where women labor, deliver and recover - are private and spacious, and our patients are invited to choose a support person to stay with them while they are here.
UVA's is one of only 12 hospitals recognized by the Virginia Department of Health for its support to breastfeeding moms.
While pregnancy for most women follows a routine course, there are women who face complications. We are the regional referral center for high-risk pregnancies, including multiples and birth defects detected during pregnancy. Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists also treat expectant mothers who have serious medical conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
Because we’re home to the region’s most advanced neonatal intensive care unit, we also can take care of babies with critical needs after birth. That means both mother and baby can receive all medical services in one location, without being separated.
Ob/gyn doctors provide comprehensive, compassionate healthcare for women at all stages of life. Find out more about our OB/gyn doctors and clinics.
Midlife Health Center
Our Midlife Health Center, focused on care for women over 40 years old, is the only one of its kind in Virginia, and there are few like it in the nation. Our clinic doctors, who are certified menopause practitioners, offer a broad range of services in one convenient location, including hormone replacement therapy, gynecologic care, menopause care, prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, prevention of heart disease, cancer screening and treatment for depression and other mental health issues.
Though nearly one in three women suffers from pelvic floor disorders - urinary or fecal incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse - most are too embarrassed to discuss the condition with their doctors. We have the region’s most complete female pelvic medicine program.
We have the region's only program for women who are at high risk for breast and ovarian cancers.
Whether you and your partner are just beginning to think about having a baby, or you’re having difficulty getting pregnant, we can provide a broad range of services including:
- Genetic counseling for patients with an increased risk of conceiving babies with birth defects or genetic problems
- A full range of fertility treatments and assisted reproduction techniques, including in vitro fertilization, ovulation induction and artificial insemination, for couples having difficulty conceiving
- The most extensive set of fetal screening and diagnostic tests available in the region, and the ability to provide appropriate follow-up treatments.
Our Teen Health Center offers primary care, education and advocacy to male and female patients ages 12 to 24 years old.
We offer advanced treatment options by doctors who specialize in uterine fibroid treatment.
Conditions We Treat Include:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Breast cancer
- Excessive hair growth
- Genital herpes
- Gynecological cancers (cancers of the female reproductive organs) (includes ovarian, endometrial, cervical, vaginal or vulvar cancers)
- Incontinence (fecal incontinence and urinary incontinence)
- Infertility (male and female)
- Irregular periods
- Menopausal symptoms
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Urinary tract infections