UVA Health System Blog

Stories about the patients, staff and services of UVA

Heart Month Tip 29: The Replacements

On February 29, 2012 | At 12:29 pm

Try out these alternatives when you’re cooking dinner:

Celebrating Heart Month

Celebrating Heart Month

• When baking brownies or a cake, use applesauce instead of oil. If the recipe calls for ¼ cup of oil, just use ¼ cup of no sugar-added applesauce. Find more healthy substitutions for your favorite recipes.
  • Try switching from coffee to green tea. It has a lot of antioxidants that help maintain good health.
  • Oil it Up! Experiment with lots of different kinds of oils, many of them with fun flavors and a variety of health benefits, like flaxseed oil and coconut oil.
  • Try turkey instead of beef, or even use meat substitutes to reduce fat in your diet.

Enter the Contest!

What replacements do you use for healthier cooking? Comment below for your chance to win a fabulous prize from our Heart Month contest.

Share:
Facebook Twitter Digg Stumbleupon Delicious Reddit Tumblr Email

6 Comments for this post

February 29th, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I have a plug-in electric kettle that makes brewing herbal tea fast & easy at home. I also line up 6 mason jars and add different flavor tea bags in each: red zinger, lemon zinger, peppermint, apple cinnamon. I brew double strength, pour the hot water in the jars and put the lids on and leave the bags in. When cool, I put them in the fridge. Even with no sweetener it’s a refreshing substitute for juice and soda. The different bright colors look inviting, chooose a flavor for your mood. It helps if it’s already brewed and chilled.
I’ve been using nonfat green yogurt spread on toast instead of butter, on beans and rice and veggies and in roll-ups instead of sourcream.
A simple blender is great for making all kinds of fatfree “pestos” and “spreads” and salad dressings from pureed fruit and veggies, herbs and vinegar and spices. Use instead of mayonnaise, creamcheese, and oily dressings.

February 29th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Since I been trying to eat healthier and watch my diabetic and I love eggs . so when I’m making meatloaf or some type of egg product for my breakfast I buy the egg subitute. that way I can eat more eggs for breakfast without all the fat and calories from regular eggs. I know egg subitutes are kinda bland but you can spice them up to fit your own taste and my family can’t tell the difference.

February 29th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Yogurt instead of mayo.

February 29th, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Flavor is often a good substitute for fatty condiments. Instead of putting Mayo on a sandwich,for example, add more flavor: spices, fresh Basil leaves, or pickles. If you’re looking for moisture, try ádding a thin layer of fat free sour cream, or a thin slices of apple or cold, cooked beet. Avocados are delicious on sandwiches -no Mayo needed!

March 15th, 2012 at 10:16 am

One morning when I was making pancakes, I didn’t have any eggs so I did alittle research on the computer and found out that I could use applesauce so instead of eggs. I used 2 Tablespoons of applesauce instead of 2 eggs and they were very yummy!