Epilepsy and Pediatric Neurology Clinic
Fontaine Research Park
500 Ray C. Hunt Dr.
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434.982.3854 or 800.251.3627 ph. | 434.982.0606 fx.
- Related Doctors
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday | 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Epilepsy Diet Program
Our epilepsy diet program offers a range of diet treatment options for children and adults with difficult-to-treat epilepsies, including:
- Ketogenic diet
- Modified Atkins diet
- Low glycemic index diet
Our dietary treatment team meets weekly and includes an adult and pediatric epileptologist, nutritionist, pharmacist and nursing staff.
Additional resources are available through the Epilepsy Foundation of Virginia, which is located in our epilepsy clinic.
We treat adults and pediatric patients with epilepsy, as well as children with disorders such as autism, attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) and seizures. We also have outreach clinics throughout Southwest Virginia (Bristol, Tazewell and Wise).
At your epilepsy appointment, patients can meet with:
- A doctor who specializes in treating epilepsy
- Nurses with specialty training in epilepsy
- A social worker who can coordinate vocational concerns
- A school teacher who can serve as a liaison to your local school district
Services in the epilepsy program include:
- A detailed initial evaluation, including a complete neurological examination. Other tests may include MRI, SPECT scan and electroencephalogram (EEG) home monitoring
- Educational materials and one-on-one contact with staff members
- Medication changes, if necessary, to improve, control or reduce side effects
- An analysis for possible admittance to the hospital as an inpatient for further testing and/or to determine if the patient is a candidate for epilepsy surgery
- Contact with the patient's primary care doctor so we can provide an opinion about the diagnosis and recommend further care
- Genetic counseling and testing, if necessary
- Clinical trials that may promote the availability of new medications and treatments
- Screening for UVA's Children's Specialty Services with counseling
- Consultation with local social service organizations to discuss psychosocial concerns and financial assistance programs for medications
From North: Take U.S. 29, exit right onto U.S. 29/U.S. 250 West Bypass. Take the fourth exit (U.S. 29 Business/Fontaine Avenue.) At end of ramp, turn left onto Fontaine Avenue. At first traffic light, turn right into Fontaine Research Park. Follow signs to 500 Ray C. Hunt Dr.
From South: Take U.S. 29 to the U.S. 29 Business exit just past the I-64 interchange. At end of ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue. At first traffic light, make right into Fontaine Research Park. Follow signs to 500 Ray C. Hunt Dr.
From East: Take I-64 exit 118B (U.S. 29). Take the next exit (U.S. 29 Business.) At end of ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue. At first traffic light, make right into Fontaine Research Park. Follow signs to 500 Ray C. Hunt Dr.
From West: Take I-64 exit 118B (U.S. 29). Take the next exit (U.S. 29 Business.) At end of ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue. At first traffic light, make right into Fontaine Research Park. Follow signs to 500 Ray C. Hunt Dr.
Russell C. Bailey
Pediatric NeurologyEdward Bertram III
NeurologyJames Nicholas Brenton
Neurological SurgeryNathan Fountain
Pediatric NeurologyKristen C. Heinan
Pediatric NeurologyLaura Jansen