Find a Doctor
Maternal - Fetal Medicine
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Obstetrics and Gynecology - Primary Care Center, 1221 Lee St,
Charlottesville, VA, 22908
Phone: 434.924.2500 Fax: 434.243.9240
Training & Certification
Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina
Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Duke University
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Diabetes and Pregnancy, High-Risk Obstetrics, Pregnancy and Asthma, Management of obstetrical and gynecological problems in women with bleeding and clotting disorders.
Prevention of complications in pregnancy related to hemostasis and thrombosis issues.
Dr. Andra James is the John M. Nokes Professor and Vice Chair for Research in the Department Of Obstetrics and Gynecology, where she is also a member of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
A graduate of UVA School of Medicine, she completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at UNC and a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine at Duke. During her time at Duke she was Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine; Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology; and Co-Director of the Comprehensive Hemostasis and Thrombosis Center.
Dr. James is involved nationally and internationally in activities to improve healthcare for women with blood disorders. She has researched and published works on the impact of blood disorders, particularly bleeding and clotting disorders, in women's health. In 2011, she was on assignment with the National Institutes of Health as an advisor to the director of the Division of Blood Diseases and Resources at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
She currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society, the medical advisory committees of several blood disorder support groups, and is president of the Foundation for Women and Girls with Blood Disorders
- 2nd National Conference on Blood Disorders in Public Health, Award for Outstanding Leadership in Public Health Practice – March, 2012
- Harry and Mitzi Cohen Lecturer, Departments of Obstetrics and Anesthesia, Northwestern University – June 18, 2010
- William Norman Thornton Lecturer and Visiting Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Virginia - May 6, 2009
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) Plenary Lecturer at Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Annual Scientific Meeting - September 19, 2008
- National Hemophilia Foundation Physician of the Year - 2008
- National Hemophilia Foundation Project Red Flag Renee Paper Award of Excellence - 2008
- Martin Villar Prize (3rd) for Thrombosis and Haemostasis – 2008
- Judges Award. University of North Carolina 7th Annual Women’s Health Research Day. April 5, 2006
- Golden Apple Award for Outstanding Teaching. Duke Family Medicine Residency Program, 2002-2003