Find a Doctor
Joint Replacement and Adult Reconstructive Surgery
545 Ray C Hunt Dr. P.O. Box 800159,
Charlottesville, VA, 22908
Phone: 434.243.1673 Fax: 434.243.0290
Training & Certification
Primary and revision total hip and knee replacement, Hip and knee arthritis, Osteolysis, Avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis)
Outcomes of hip and knee replacement (Primary, revision, complications), Novel surgical techniques, Hip fractures, Orthopaedic resident education
Dr. Browne graduated summa cum laude from Washington and Lee University before attending the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. During medical school he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He subsequently completed his orthopaedic residency training at Duke University where he was the recipient of multiple clinical and research awards. He then pursued a fellowship in hip and knee arthroplasty at the Mayo Clinic where he was honored with the Mark B. Coventry Adult Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship Award. His clinical interests and expertise include complex primary and revision hip and knee replacement.
Along with his clinical interests, he is actively involved with research encompassing all aspects of hip and knee replacement, has published numerous peer reviewed journal articles and book chapters, and has been invited to speak nationally and internationally on topics related to joint replacement. He was named as one of The Best Doctors in America in 2013.
Away from the hospital, Dr. Browne enjoys spending time with his wife and young children and boating on Smith Mountain Lake whenever possible.
- Best Doctors in America, 2013
- Orthopaedics Today “Generation Next” Emerging Leader Award, March 2013
- Arthritis Foundation Award for Service, Charlottesville Bone Bash Gala, October 2012
- Mark B. Coventry Adult Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship Award, Mayo Clinic, 2010
- Duke Orthopaedics Chief Resident Research Award, 2009
- Duke Ralph Snyderman GME Research Award, 2009
- Selected to attend AAOS/ORS/OREF Clinician Scientist Development Program, 2009 Selected for Resident/Emerging Leadership Program, American Orthopaedic Association, 2008
- William S. Ogden, Jr. Piedmont Traveling Fellowship Award, 2007
- 100th Percentile Score, Orthopaedic In-Training Exam (OITE), 2006
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical academic honor society, elected 2004
- The Mapleson Award, W&L University, conferred upon the Bachelor of Arts graduate with the highest GPA, 2000
- Phi Beta Kappa, Academic honor society, 1999