Pain Management Center
Monday - Friday | 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The Pain Management Center helps minimize your pain and restore your quality of life by maximizing your level of function and independence.
Our team includes specially trained staff in nursing, psychology, social work, anesthesiology, pain, neurology and physical rehabilitation. All of our doctors are trained and certified in pain management.
Learn more about our pain management services.
Types of Pain & Treatment
Types of Pain Treated
- Spinal pain
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Herniated disks
- Complex regional pain syndrome (RSD)
- Head and facial pain
- Pelvic and abdominal pain
- Cancer pain
- Post-surgical pain
Pain Management Therapy Options
- Recommend medications for your referring doctor or primary care doctor to prescribe
- Pain-coping skills
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for pain
- Self-regulation, including breathing techniques and meditation
- Epidural steroid injections
- Medial branch blocks (spinal injections) and radiofrequency ablation procedure
- Intradiscal procedures (uses electrical and radiofrequency energy to create heat to treat pain)
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Peripheral nerve blocks:
- Blocks for complex regional or cancer pain:
- Stellate ganglion blocks
- Celiac plexus blocks
- Lumbar sympathetic blocks
- Ganglion impar blocks (pelvic pain)
- Spinal cord stimulation (small electrodes are used to interrupt the transmission of pain)
- Intrathecal pumps (used for cancer and spasticity)
Pain Management Education and Support Group
Includes guest speakers and educational topics, as well as group discussion.
- Guided imagery
- Back training
- Therapeutic movement
Who: Open to anyone experiencing chronic pain (you don’t need to be a UVA patient)
When: 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, 9-10:30 a.m.
Where: 545 Ray C. Hunt Drive, Fontaine Research Park, Second Floor conference room
Questions? Call 434.243.5676 and ask for Helen or Mary.