Camps are a great summer activity for children. But sometimes kids with diabetes need more support than the average camp can offer. There are options that are designed especially for kids with diabetes and other special needs.
When choosing a camp, make sure to:
- Decide what you and your child want from the experience
- Call camps to find out about their program
- Find out the availability of doctors and nurses (on site or close by)
- Ask about scholarships
- Call soon because camps fill up quickly.
Camps to Consider:
- Victory Junction, Greensboro, North Carolina, Ages: 7-15 years
- Camp Carolina Trails, King, North Carolina (near Rock State Park), Just for children with diabetes
- Camp Makemie Woods, Williamsburg, Virginia, Just for children with diabetes
- Camp Holiday Trails, Charlottesville, Virginia, Includes children with a variety of medical issues
- Camp Glyndon/Camp Merrick, La Plata, Maryland, Just for children with diabetes; also offers some family programs
- Camp Kno-Koma, Charleston, West Virginia
Note: UVA is not affiliated with any of these camps.