Are You Obese?
Find out now: Use this online BMI calculator.
Nutrition Counseling at UVA
Nutrition counseling is a crucial part of the weight-loss surgery process. We'll help you before and after the procedure to:
- Make sure your eating habits match diet guidelines for successful and healthy weight loss
- Set and achieve realistic goals
Working With You on Your Weight-Loss Journey
During the weight-loss process and after surgery (either gastric bypass or gastric band), our registered dietitians work with you one-on-one to help you:
- Select and prepare foods to meet your specific diet requirements
- Choose foods that are low in fat and sugar
- Set meal patterns that contain the right amount of protein
- Meet your needed fluid requirements
- Include fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet
- Take vitamins daily
- Manage portions
- Exercise regularly
- Practice positive eating
Find tips and guidelines to help you manage your food intake.