Conditions and Treatments
From total hip and knee replacements to finger implants, we offer the latest technologies to address your sports-related injuries, arthritis pain, spine conditions and any other musculoskeletal injury.
Fractures, strains, ligament pain, bone injury, joint trauma — whatever the musculoskeletal injury limiting your life, UVA Orthopedics has the expertise to get you going again.
Knee and Hip Replacements
We specialize in knee and hip replacements, particularly arthroscopy for patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease). Our doctors help more than 7,500 patients annually and perform more than 1,000 procedures a year.
Here at UVA, you’ll have access to the most innovative implant technologies, such as hip resurfacing, ceramics and oxinium to ensure you get flexible, strong and long-lasting implants. We're also the first in the region to offer arthroscopic surgery — a minimally invasive (meaning small incisions) joint replacement surgery — for knee reconstruction, total hip replacement and total knee replacement.
UVA's Hand Center is one of the only centers in the region to offer comprehensive and 24/7 care for hand trauma, wrist trauma, forearm pain and elbow injury and disorders for all ages.
We offer minimally invasive surgical techniques (small incisions) for:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (including carpal tunnel syndrome repair and grafting)
- Sports-related injuries
- Congenital hand disorders
- Tennis elbow (Lateral epicondylitis)
Foot and Ankle Disorders
We offer comprehensive foot care and reconstruction for diabetic patients, managing treatment for complications such as:
- Deformed feet
- Circulation problems
- Chronic wounds that won’t heal
- Pain management
We also treat:
- Vascular problems in the foot and ankle
- Arthritis of the foot and ankle
- Twisted or sprained ankle
- Congenital problems in children and adults
- Hammer toe
- Plantar fasciitis
Sports Medicine Clinic
Our UVA Sports Medicine Clinic handles a high volume of sports-related injuries to the knee and shoulder under the direction of the team doctors for the UVA Cavaliers, James Madison University and most area high schools.
Orthopedic services include:
- ACL surgery (anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction or knee surgery)
- Rotator cuff repair (shoulder arthroplasty or other surgery)
- Meniscal tear arthroscopic surgery (treating the “shock absorber” in the knee)
- Articular cartilage injury repair
- Separated shoulders care
- Shoulder instability treatment
Our doctors care for athletes at all levels - from recreational to high-level elite athletes - and all ages - from school age to senior athletes trying to stay in shape. We also offer physical screenings for adolescents and teens participating in sports.
Spinal Injuries or Disorders
We offer surgical and non-surgical treatments for spinal cord injuries and deformities in adults and children, including:
- Spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine that causes painful nerve pinching
- Scoliosis in adults and children
- Fractures resulting from osteoporosis
- Spinal fusion