Where to Get Pain Treatment at UVA
- Pain Management Center
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Radiology and Medical Imaging (UVA Medical Center location)
- UVA Imaging and Intervention at Fontaine (Fontaine Research Park)
- UVA Imaging at Northridge
Pain is very real, but the good news is that there are ways to treat it. The goal of pain management at UVA is to minimize your pain while improving function and increasing your quality of life.
Types of Pain
- What is acute pain?: Begins suddenly and is usually caused by trauma, injury, surgery or another type of event. Acute pain doesn’t last more than six months and disappears when the cause of the pain is treated.
- What is chronic pain?: Often comes from conditions that are difficult to diagnose and treat and that may take a long time to reverse. Types of chronic pain include back pain, headache, arthritis and cancer pain.
Goals of Pain Management Therapy
- Reduce your pain
- Increase your comfort and satisfaction
- Help you manage daily activities