James A. Amato, MBA, Chief of Clinical Ancillary Services
Amato came to UVA in October 2001. In 2011, he took on his role as chief of clinical ancillary services. In July 2015, he also became interim chief operating officer for hospital and clinics operations.
In his role as chief of clinical ancillary services, Amato provides senior operational leadership to support the administrators and team members for the following departments:
- Chaplaincy Services
- Endoscopy/Bronchoscopy Labs
- Faculty Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Laboratories
- Pharmacy Services
- Radiology and Medical Imaging
- Therapy Services (occupational, physical, recreational and speech therapies)
- Employee Health and UVA-WorkMed
As the interim chief operating officer for hospital and clinics operations, Amato was responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Medical Center.