Be Safe: Advancing UVA's Status as the Safest Place to Work and Receive Care
Be Safe emphasizes real-time, root cause problem-solving; the use of standard work to drive learning and improvement; and rapid escalation of safety issues within a tiered leadership chain.
Be Safe Goals
This collective, system-wide focus on safety allows us to:
- Deliver the best and safest care possible.
- Develop and consistently adhere to “best practices.” For example, finding the safest way to complete a task, such as inserting a urinary catheter, and following those steps every single time.
- Make best practices our “standard work.” This means making the best way to complete a task the way we automatically do it every time.
- Call out and respond to safety concerns the moment any team member becomes aware of them.
- Rapidly escalate problems to leadership, when needed.
- Address the root cause of problems. No “work-arounds.”
Be Safe Priorities
As part of Be Safe, we are closely monitoring and working to improve the following measures: