Make a Referral
To refer a patient, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call UVA Physician Direct at 800.552.3723.
Through this one point of access, you can:
- Arrange a consult
- Access a clinic to schedule an appointment
- Follow up on a patient
- Obtain test results
- Connect to a physician liaison
- Order UVA Physician directories
What You Need to Make a Referral
Before you call or fax in a referral, make sure you have this information ready to provide:
- Patient name, address, phone number
- Insurance information with any required pre-authorization
- Treatments received
- Copies of most current lab tests, radiology scans, relevant clinical notes
- Prescription info
- If requesting imaging or other procedure, provide type of test and corresponding ICD-9 code
After the Referral
- Notify the patient of the appointment by mail
- Send the results of the patient’s visit to the referring physician afterwards.
Sending a patient to UVA?
Find out how to transfer or transport a patient.