- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Hematology; Medical Oncology
- Research Interests:
Novel therapeutics for lymphoma, CLL, and other hematologic malignancies with a focus in mantle cell lymphoma.
- Clinical Practice:
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Hodgkin Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Lymphoma, Blood Cancers, Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia
Chief, Division of Hematology and Oncology
Physician Lead, Cancer Service Line, UVA Health System
Associate Director, Clinical Affairs, UVA Cancer Center
Dr. Michael E. Williams is the Byrd S. Leavell professor of medicine and professor of pathology at UVA School of Medicine. He also serves as the chief of the division of hematology/oncology and director of hematologic malignancies at UVA Cancer Center.
Dr. Williams received his MD from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and a Master of Science from the Harvard School of Public Health. He completed his medicine residency, chief residency and fellowship in hematology/oncology at the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville, where he joined the faculty in 1986 and currently serves as chief of the Hematology/Oncology Division.
Dr. Williams’ research interests are in novel therapeutic approaches for non-Hodgkin lymphomas, mantle cell lymphoma and CLL, including targeted agents and immunotherapeutics. He serves on the scientific advisory boards of the Lymphoma Research Foundation and the European Mantle Cell Lymphoma Network, and is vice-chair of the Eastern Cooperative Group Lymphoma Core Committee. He also serves as chair of the Hematology Subspecialty Board of the American Board of Internal Medicine, and is an ABIM Council Member.
He participates regularly in national and international programs devoted to education and research in lymphoma and hematologic malignancies.
- 2011-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Top Doctors in America
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
- 2015 One of America's Top Cancer Doctors, Newsweek®
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; First Place, Hematology/Oncology
- University of Cincinnati, 1979
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia
- Hematology, University of Virginia; Medical Oncology, University of Virginia