Being diagnosed with melanoma can be overwhelming. But know that UVA Health is here for you in this moment.
Melanoma is a less common form of skin cancer. But, it can be more serious than other forms because it is more likely to spread to other parts of the body.
Melanoma Care at UVA Health
Our doctors and scientists are leaders in melanoma care. They help develop new treatments and push the boundaries of research. For example, unlike general plastic surgeons, our surgical oncologists are specially trained to operate on melanoma. This reduces the chances of melanoma returning and the need for more surgeries.
Our entire team works together and partners with you to develop your personalized treatment plan. If you have a complex case, it is reviewed by our weekly tumor board. This is a meeting of experts from across all cancer specialties at UVA Health. They'll look at your case from every angle and recommend the approach that will give you the best possible outcome.
Finally, UVA Health is a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center. This title means we're a leader in cancer research, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. We're the only such center in Virginia — and one of just 52 in the country.
For expert, compassionate melanoma care, you can count on UVA Health. We're prepared for the moment you need us most.
Would You Like a Second Opinion?
UVA Health cancer doctors can provide you with a second opinion on your cancer diagnosis or care plan.
Why UVA Health for Cancer Treatment
- We are Virginia's only National Cancer Institute (NCI) Comprehensive Cancer Center — and one of just 52 nationwide. This means NCI funds cutting-edge cancer care for our patients.
- U.S. News & World Report rated our cancer services as "high performing" for 2021-22.
- Our team is skilled in the latest tools and technologies for detecting and treating cancer.
- We offer access to clinical trials, including early-phase trials, available nowhere else in the region.
- Our genetic counselors guide you, your family, and your doctors to a plan of care that's right for you.
- Our social workers, nutritionists, rehabilitation specialists, and palliative care experts help you take care of your body during your cancer journey.
- We have multiple locations throughout the region, giving you convenient options for receiving your cancer care.