Planning a Funeral or Service
Choose a Funeral Home
You will need to choose a funeral home or cremation service.
Find a funeral home:
Questions or concerns? Decedent Affairs staff can provide information. Call 434.924.5018.
Once you have chosen a funeral home or cremation service, please notify:
- The nursing staff
- Decedent Affairs
- The funeral home or cremation service you have chosen, to
- Give the funeral director authorization to provide services
- Ask them to contact Decedent Affairs to arrange for the release of the deceased
How to Prepare for a Funeral or Remembrance Service
Some things to remember:
- Choose Funeral and Burial Options. Ask for descriptions and costs of the kind of service that will honor your loved one.
- Write an Obituary. Gather information for the obituary: Full name and nicknames, date of birth, occupation, father's and mother's names, list of relatives and relationships and any military service. Include a list of church, professional organizations, clubs or other memberships held.
- Decide About Donations. Bring the names of organizations or charities you wish to have donations made in memory of your loved one.
- Dressing the Deceased. Select and bring the clothing in which your loved one will be buried.
- Plan a Reception. Make arrangements for food or a reception after the burial service. Perhaps a friend can oversee this task.
- Choose Pallbearers and Speakers. Be thinking of individuals who might be available as pallbearers and/or persons who may speak about your loved one at the service.