Pain Control & Surgery
We want to know if you have pain or discomfort. We will make every effort to help you control your pain. Not all pain can be eliminated, so the nursing and medical team will ask you to rate your pain using the UVA Pain Rating Scale (PDF). It's important to treat pain before it gets out of control. At any time, tell your healthcare provider:
- When your pain began and how long it lasted.
- Is it a new pain?
- Where you feel your pain. Is it deep or does it travel on your body?
- How much your pain bothers you, and how it feels (sharp, dull or ache).
- What you are unable to do because of your pain.
- What makes your pain feel better and what makes it feel worse.
If you feel that you need more information, your nurse will contact our pain nurse specialist to help you.
Preparing for Surgery
Find out what you need to do to prepare for both inpatient and outpatient surgery.