Home Infusion Therapy
Home infusion provides an alternative to receiving intravenous (IV) therapy in the hospital. Home infusion therapy is the intravenous administration of medication to patients in their own home. Patients find the convenience and comfort of being at home very appealing. Patients can often return to their normal routines and even, in some cases, return to work while still on home IV therapy.
Infusion Nursing Support
Continuum's home infusion service consists of a specialized team of registered nurses. All members of the team are trained in the insertion and management of IV lines. Nurses will provide you and your family with the teaching and support needed to make sure you feel at ease with your IV therapy at home.
We provide numerous IV therapies, such as antibiotics, pain management and chemotherapy, for home use, with easy-to-use infusion pumps and supplies. We can provide direct delivery of your IV drugs and supplies to your home. Your infusion pharmacist works closely with your home care nurse and doctor to make sure your care and treatment goals are met and care is coordinated.
If you need nutritional products at home, such as tube feedings or IV nutrition, we have a nutritional support team that closely monitors your nutritional needs. Our nutritional team consists of a physician, registered dietician, pharmacist and nurse.
The most common therapies are:
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN): The administration of nutritional substances by central intravenous infusion to patients who are either already malnourished or have the potential for developing malnutrition
- Enteral Nutrition: The delivery of nutrients by tube into the gastrointestinal tract
- Chemotherapy: The intravenous administration of chemotherapy agents desired to have specific and toxic effects upon a disease-causing cell or organism
- Drug Therapy: The intravenous administration of other drugs, including antibiotics, antivirals, chelating agents, growth hormones, Synagis & Colony Stimulating Factors (Neupogen, Epogen) etc.
- Pain Management: The intravenous administration of narcotics and other drugs designed to relieve pain
- Hydration Therapy: The intravenous administration of fluids, electrolytes and other additives
- Catheter Care: Care for the peripheral and central line catheters in the absence of all other therapies
Home Infusion Therapy Services Offered
- Pharmacy services: Clinical monitoring, management of the IV therapy care plan, medication profile review, coordination of care and mixing and compounding of drugs
- Durable medical equipment: IV pumps and poles, etc.
- Ancillary medical supplies: Tubing, needles, syringes, etc.
- Nursing services: Includes the administration of parenteral medications and IV fluids, intravenous and enteral hyperalimentation and family instruction
- Nutrition support team: Interdisciplinary team of physicians, nutritionists, pharmacists and infusion nurses who monitor the patient's progress and test results throughout the course of treatment