Why Transfer Your Patient?
In addition to delivering innovative treatments, such as nocturnal dialysis, our team conducts research to improve all aspects of kidney disease care.
Benefits of UVA's kidney services:
- Our nephrologists are also on faculty at the UVA School of Medicine. In addition to writing national practice guidelines, they serve on national and international committees, advisory groups and education boards.
- We're home to the largest academic hemodialysis facility in the country. We also offer innovative programs, including an array of home dialysis services and living donor kidney transplants.
- As an integrated academic medical center, we coordinate care across a broad spectrum of chronic diseases.
- UVA Health has earned the Mid-Atlantic Renal Coalition’s 5-Diamond Patient Safety Program rating since the program’s inception. As the region’s top patient safety honor, 5-Diamond status demonstrates our commitment to patient safety.
- We offer our patients access to clinical trials and new therapies.
Transfer Your Dialysis Patient to UVA
We welcome inquiries and referrals from fellow nephrologists and primary care physicians. In coordination with referring providers, we offer expedited access to our kidney care program:
- We usually see patients within 24 to 48 hours of referral.
- We offer consultation to referring physicians within 24 hours of seeing your patient.
To refer a patient for a standard nephrology evaluation, please call us at 434.924.1984.
To initiate a transfer of care for patients already on dialysis, please contact the UVA Transfer Center at 844.XFERUVA (933.7882). An experienced medic will connect you directly to the appropriate UVA physician via conference call.
Need a referral?
Learn more about our referral process.