Digestive Tests, Procedures and Surgeries
Learn what to expect from these gastrointestinal procedures.
Motility and Functional Lab Procedures
- Anorectal manometry
- Barium radiographic exams
- Esophageal motility
- Gastric emptying scintigraphy
- Gastroduodenal motility
Endoscopy and Radiological Diagnostics
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Banding of esophageal varices
- Biopsy and polypectomy
- Colonoscopy, including virtual colonscopies performed with a CT scan
- Upper GI endoscopy
- Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- H. pylori breathing test
- Abdominal paracentesis
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic (TIPS)
Laparoscopic Surgical Care
- Achalasia surgery (Heller myotomy)
- Nissen antireflux
- Pancreatic cyst drainage
- Pancreatic resection
- Bowel and colon resection
- Closure of small bowel fistulas
- Endoscopy/minimally invasive surgery
- Enteral feeding access
- Ileal pouch surgery (J pouch)
- Small bowel resection for Crohn's disease
- Small bowel strictureplasty
- Sphincter-preserving procedures
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM)
- Transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF)
- Whipple procedure (pancreatoduodenectomy)
The colorectal surgery team at UVA offers comprehensive surgical care for diseases of the colon and rectum.
From liver transplants to liver resection procedures, our liver specialists offer the latest advanced procedures to treat your liver condition.
When antibiotics fail to work, we offer an effective treatment for recurring Clostridium difficile (C.diff) infections, Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT).
Weight-Loss (Bariatric) Surgery
If you are morbidly obese and have tried every diet, medication and lifestyle change without long-lasting results, you might be eligible for weight-loss surgery.