Do you or someone you love suffer from snoring? If you snore loudly and frequently and do not have other breathing disorders, the Somnoplasty procedure may be a solution for you.
The Causes of Snoring
When you sleep, floppy tissue in your airway can relax enough to vibrate, causing snoring. Snoring can be caused or worsened by:
- Alcohol intake
- Congested nasal passages
- An enlarged soft palate or uvula
- Issues with your tongue, tonsils, adenoids
Snoring is not dangerous, but could be a sign of other disorders, like sleep apnea, so see your doctor.
What is Somnoplasty?
Somnoplasty uses a wand-like instrument that emits radio-frequency energy to shrink excess soft tissue in the upper airway and it:
- Takes less than thirty minutes
- Is performed in the doctor's office
- Requires only local anesthesia
- Allows for a quick recovery
Costs & Recovery
- You may experience a sore throat for 7-10 days, with increased snoring.
- Snoring will usually begin to diminish in intensity by the 8th week.
- If you do not notice significant improvement by ten weeks, the somnoplasty procedure may be repeated up to 3 times.
Make an appointment to visit the Charlottesville ENT Associates clinic.