Is Dialysis Right for Me?
If your kidney function is declining and other treatments, such as medications and lifestyle changes, aren't working, dialysis can offer life-saving care.
You may benefit from dialysis if you:
- Have advanced CKD and are approaching kidney failure.
- Are open to making lifestyle changes, including changes to your diet and staying physically active through regular exercise.
- Can tolerate the physical demands of dialysis, such as sitting in a chair for long periods of time (in-center hemodialysis only) or having a catheter surgically attached to your abdomen (peritoneal dialysis only)
- Are able to take care of yourself between treatments, either on your own or with the help of a friend or family member
- Don't have other life-limiting illnesses, such as heart failure or lung cancer
- Are ineligible for a kidney transplant, or are eligible and are waiting for a donor kidney