Prostate: Treatments & Expertise
Relief for Enlarged Prostate
Our advanced treatments for relief of an enlarged prostate include:
- GreenLight Laser treatment, safer than traditional procedures
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) surgery, at the UVA Cancer Center
Prostate Cancer Treatments
We treat prostate cancer with the very latest technological advances. These include:
- Cryotherapy, which freezes tumors without damaging health tissue
- Prostatectomy, which removes part of the prostate with the help of a robot
- Brachytherapy, which uses tiny radioactive “seeds” to target radiation and minimize effects on healthy tissue
Treatment Spotlight: da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
We were one of the first medical centers in Virginia to offer the da Vinci roboticfor treatment of prostate cancer.
This procedure involves the use of a miniature camera and robotic “hands” that are inserted into the body through a series of tiny incisions.
These tools ensure steadiness and precision, allowing the surgeon to see and avoid damage to nearby nerves and muscles that control continence and potency.
Typical outcomes include reduced blood loss and post-operative pain, shorter hospital stays and less likelihood of side effects like impotence, incontinence and infection.
We offer treatments for prostate cancer through the UVA Cancer Center.