Safe Sleep for Your Newborn
Infant Safe Sleep
We are committed to providing the safest care for your newborn. We follow the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations for supporting and promoting a safe sleep environment.
The Safest Sleep Environment for Your Newborn
During your hospital stay:
- Your baby can snuggle with you skin-to-skin when you are awake, then placed into the nearby crib for safety if you are drowsy or falling asleep
- We place all babies on their backs in a crib with a firm mattress
- Stuffed animals, pillows, fluffy blankets and other soft bedding will be kept out of your baby's bed
- We wrap babies in swaddle sacks instead of clothing and blankets
- Swaddle sacks will enhance infant security by visually identifying your baby as a patient
- You can dress your baby in a “going home” outfit for your trip home
- At discharge, we'll give you a free, brand-new UVA Children's Hospital swaddle sack to use at home
We'll also give you information on how to provide a safe sleep environment for your newborn at home.
Find out more guidelines for a baby's safe sleep.