In the News
Our telemedicine programs helps a clinic in Wise.
UVA Center for Telehealth has been renamed for co-founder Karen Rheuban. Read about the Center's name change.
How did our telehealth center begin? How does it benefit Virginia? Watch this video about our telemedicine efforts.
Telehealth by the Numbers
As of December 2016, the Karen S. Rheuban Center for Telehealth has:
- Established 152 Telemedicine Partners across Virginia
- Supported 60,000+ clinical patient encounters
- Provided care in 60+ medical subspecialties
- Saved Virginia patients 16 million miles of travel
Building on 20 years of experience in the use of advanced technologies and broadband communications, the UVA Center for Telehealth works to facilitate access to specialty medical care and support the mission of the UVA Health System to advance clinical service, teaching, research, and public service.
Stay current with our work:
We have been a leader in providing timely access to specialty medical services that are otherwise unavailable in communities throughout Virginia and around the world. The Center collaborates with faculty and students from the University's Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Engineering, Law, Business, Architecture, Commerce, Public Policy, and Education as well as the University’s Healthy Appalachia Institute to generate interdisciplinary research and programmatic solutions to populations’ health problems.
Using standards-based, broadband technologies, we have supported thousands of hours of distance learning for patients and health care professionals and provided assistance to facilities looking to implement new telemedicine services.
How Telemedicine Helps
Using video conferencing, we give you virtual access to UVA specialists. You can benefit from:
- Consultation with a doctor
- Receive diagnosis
- Online transfer of your medical records and images
- Teleradiology services that help your local provider treat your injury or illness quickly
- Educational seminars
- Home-health applications that monitor your vital signs and give you follow-up care