How to Participate
Are you a patient?
Tell your specialty care provider you are interested in telemedicine.
Are you a provider?
If you are interested in partnering with UVA to provide specialty care to your patients, email us.
Are you a UVA provider?
Call us at 434.924.5470.
Are you a current partner with UVA?
Submit a telemedicine consult request (PDF).
What to Expect
The telemedicine process typically follows these steps:
- Your local physician or health clinic and your UVA specialist will work together to decide on the best treatment plan for you.
- Your medical data, x-ray images and other important information will be sent directly to the specialist at UVA Health System who will review your information before your appointment.
- An appointment will then be scheduled for you at your local medical center for your telemedicine consultation.
- During your appointment you will talk to the physician using a TV screen, camera and broadband internet technology.
- After the appointment, your healthcare provider will be faxed a report with follow-up information.
- Liver patient
Billing and Insurance
Many insurers, including Medicare and Virginia Medicaid, cover the cost of telemedicine. All patients being seen through UVA Telemedicine will complete financial screening paperwork just as if they were coming to UVA for an appointment. After completion of the paperwork, any telemedicine charges will be prorated to match your financial abilities, if applicable. If you have insurance, a claim will be filed with your insurance company.
Virginia Medicaid reimburses for telemedicine services provided anywhere in the Commonwealth. Patients with out-of-state Medicaid can still be scheduled, but must have authorization for services from their Medicaid program. It is best to check with your individuall insurance provider regarding coverage for telemedicine services.
Medicare reimburses for telemedicine services provided to patients from rural areas (designated as Health Professional Shortage Areas.)
Explore your eligibility for Medicaid or Medicare services: