After Heart Transplant
A heart transplant significantly alters your life with potentially great benefits. But receiving a transplant also means a lifetime of medication, frequent follow-up visits and ongoing monitoring by doctors and nurses at UVA.
After Leaving the Hospital
After leaving the hospital, you will need to:
- Check your vital signs daily (temperature, weight, blood pressure and pulse)
- Take prescribed medications
- Take regularly scheduled routine lab tests (at a lab close to home)
After the transplant, follow-up visits will include:
- Regular monthly visits to the heart transplant clinic to check progress and catch any signs of organ rejection at the earliest point. We will biopsy your heart at each visit.
- After the first year, clinic visits every three months (with biopsies twice a year).
- During the third year after transplant, an annual visit and biopsy.