You will have a lot of questions as you go through the transplant process, and your transplant team is ready to answer them.
Here are some sample questions that can prompt a conversation. Print out this page, or write down your questions before your appointment.
During your evaluation and appointments, you'll have a lot of questions, and we'll need a lot of information from you. Because of this, we require that you bring a care partner with you — a friend or family member who will help support you and ensure that we answer all of your questions.
The Evaluation Process
- How can I prepare for my evaluation?
- Can you walk me through what happens during an evaluation?
- Is there anything I should bring?
- Does my evaluation affect whether or not I’m on the list?
- How long does the evaluation take?
- Will my evaluation be one visit or multiple visits?
About the Transplant Process
- Who will explain the transplant process to me and my family?
- Can I tour the transplant center?
- What other options do I have besides transplant?
- What are the risks of transplant?
- What are the benefits of transplant?
- How long will I have to wait for an organ?
- Can I get on wait lists at other hospitals?
Questions About UVA
- What are the transplant success rates at UVA?
- For how many years has UVA been doing transplants?
- How many transplants do you perform at this hospital each year?
- Who are the members of the transplant team and what are their jobs?
- How many surgeons are available to do my type of transplant?
- How close to your hospital do I need to live if I am on the waiting list?
Preparing for My Transplant
- What can I do to prepare for the call that an organ is ready?
- Is there anything special I need to do, or any additional medications I must take in order to prepare for my transplant?
- If I’m called, how soon do I have to be at the hospital?
- Is there a special transplant unit where I’ll recover after my procedure?
- Will my transplant team contact my local healthcare providers?
After the Transplant
- How long will I need to stay in the hospital?
- Will you ask me to participate in research studies?
- Do I need to stay close to the hospital after my transplant? If so, for how long?
- What is the usual immunosuppressive treatment?
- What kind of follow-up exams are involved?
- How frequently will I have to follow up?
- If I have complications, do I have to return to the hospital where I had the transplant?
- What medications will I take after I leave the hospital?