Breastfeeding Medicine Program
Monday - Friday | 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Weekends and Holidays | 9.00 am - 3:00 pm
Parking: Free with validation, using your green parking ticket when you register at your appointment. Use the Lee Street Parking Garage directly across the street from University Hospital and Emergency Department.
Shuttle service: Runs every 30 minutes, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Find shuttle stop locations.
Our lactation consultants visit with every new mother after delivery. We also offer lactation support to all moms and babies coping with breastfeeding difficulties.
Our NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) provides support to families on a variety of breastfeeding issues unique to NICU babies.
We also provide follow-up phone calls to all breastfeeding moms for ongoing support.
Our services are offered seven days a week.
Outpatient Follow-up Visits
For personal breastfeeding issues, including:
- Evaluation of latch and milk intake
- Help with increasing milk supply
- Management of breast refusal or nipple confusion
- Evaluation of nipple and breast pain
- Treatment for plugged ducts, engorgement, mastitis and sore nipples
- Evaluation and treatment of tongue tie
- Management for slow weight gain
- Support for complex breastfeeding issues
We also provide:
- Prenatal consultation
- Help with pumping and and breastfeeding when returning to work/school
- Education about the benefits of breast milk and tools for breastfeeding success
The breastfeeding medicine team is led by Ann Kellams, MD, a pediatrician, certified lactation consultant and medical director of the UVA Newborn Nursery.
The team includes pediatricians, lactation consultants and nutritionists.
Battle Building Breastfeeding Clinic
We now offer a Breastfeeding Medicine Clinic at the Battle Building.
Mothers needing breastfeeding help at home: Call 434.924.0000 and ask for the breastfeeding medicine consultant.
Doctors and healthcare providers: Call 434.982.3500 and use page ID 1636.
Did You Know?
UVA's is one of only 12 hospitals recognized by the Virginia Department of Health for its support to breastfeeding moms.
Register for our breastfeeding basics class.
Your first days with your baby can be overwhelming. Here's a simple guide to breastfeeding (PDF) that can help make the initial days and weeks easier.
Find a trusted source for breastfeeding help with this list of breastfeeding support services (PDF).