Volunteering at UVA Health System means making a meaningful difference in the lives of others. Our team of volunteers contributes to the superlative care that we provide to our patients.
With over 50 volunteer programs to choose from, we have something for everyone. We have opportunities for:
Every volunteer must meet the requirements and follow these steps:
- Interview with one of our volunteer coordinators
- Complete an application
- Provide authorization for a criminal background check
- Complete a brief health assessment. This includes:
- Required immunizations: 2 doses of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine; 1 TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccine; have had chicken pox or 2 doses of the chicken pox (varicella) vaccine
- Complete a two-part screening for TB (free)
- Receive a flu vaccination (free)
- Obtain photo ID badge
- Complete necessary training
What Do Volunteers Do?
We support a wide range of programs and services at the health system. As a volunteer, you can:
- Visit patients
- Serve lunch
- Cuddle a newborn
- Deliver flowers or mail
- Offer comfort to families
- Cook a meal at the UVA Hospitality House
- Work at the gift shop
- Provide administrative support
- Help with special events
Donate to the Hospital
Can't commit to a weekly shift? We need crafters, knitters and seamstresses to create special items for our patients. Please contact us for details.
Can't volunteer? You can still donate needed items, including:
- Colored pencils
- Playing cards
- Current magazines
- Puzzle or activity books (all levels)
- Individual water color paint sets
- Adult Coloring books
To donate, contact Volunteer Services.