UVA Hospital Auxiliary
The University of Virginia Hospital Auxiliary is comprised of volunteers and non-volunteers who have been united since 1908. They share the common goal of providing aid and comfort to patients and their families through volunteer service or fund-raising that directly benefits patients and their families.
Being a volunteer means you are automatically a member of the Auxiliary.
We raise money for a variety of projects and services, supporting projects like:
- UVA Hospitality House
- Patient Assistance Fund for cancer patients
- Financial support for patients needing food, transport and lodging
History of Support and Funding
In 1908, the UVA Hospital Circle of the Kings' Daughters debuted. They cared for patients by visiting with them, making clothing for them and serving delicacies.
In the 1920s, the Hospital Circle provided money to fund the first full-time social worker.
In the 1940s, the Hospital Circle created the Outpatient Department Canteen.
In the 1960s, the name changed to Women's Auxiliary of the University Hospital, and they established the Family Lounge and began making Pinkie the Puppet.
During the 1980s, the Alex Sawyer Hospitality House was created to provide affordable lodging for patients' families. The Health Resource Center opened to provide free consumer health information to community members, patients and their families.
In the 21st century, the Auxiliary pledged $100,000 to fund the new Hospital Auxiliary Hospitality House on 14th Street, which increased its size from 35 beds to 62 beds.
April 2011 was the grand opening of Flourish, a Positive Image Boutique, housed in the Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center. Flourish provides hard-to-find items for men and women receiving cancer therapy. It has additional accessories, including jewelry, hats, scarves, books and more.