A. Bobby Chhabra, MDPractice Area: Orthopedics, Hand Center, Children's, Surgery Department: Orthopaedic Surgery Division: Hand and Upper Extremity Disorders Title: Lillian T. Pratt Distinguished Professor and Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery AMBS Certification: Orthopaedic Surgery, Surgery of the Hand Other Appointment: Chairman of Orthopaedic surgery
Contact InformationP.O. Box 800159 Charlottesville, VA 22908-0159 Phone: 434.982.4263 | Fax: 434.984.0782 Other Locations:
Dr. Bobby Chhabra: Education
Dr. Chhabra graduated from Johns Hopkins University with an undergraduate degree in Biology before completing his medical education at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He completed his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at the University of Virginia Health System. He received his fellowship training in hand and upper extremity, microvascular and congenital hand surgery at the Hand Center of San Antonio and Texas Scottish Rite Hospital.
Dr. Bobby Chhabra: Professional Expertise
Dr. Chhabra returned to the University of Virginia in 2002 during which time he helped create the University of Virginia Hand Center. Dr. Chhabra is currently the Lillian T. Pratt Distinguished Professor and Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor of Plastic Surgery at the University of Virginia. He is the Division Head of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery. He is also the hand and upper extremity consultant for the University of Virginia Department of Athletics. His areas of expertise include hand, wrist, and elbow trauma and arthritis with a particular interest in athletic injuries and congenital hand surgery. He has a basic science laboratory that is investigating flexor tendon healing using growth factor and stem cell technology and tissue engineering principles.
Dr. Bobby Chhabra: Accomplishments
Dr. Chhabra is a nationally recognized Orthopaedic educator and has been a course director for several orthopedic board review courses. He has received the University of Virginia Master Educator Award and the University of Virginia School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching. Dr. Chhabra is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and a fellow of the American Orthopaedic Association. He is past President of the Virginia Orthopaedic Society.
Dr. Bobby Chhabra in Charlottesville
Bobby Chhabra, MD, co-founded the UVA Hand Center. An orthopedic specialist with expertise in hand surgery, Dr. Chhabra is now the director of the UVA Orthopedic Department.
Learn more about Dr. Chhabra at UVA and his work:
Watch this video to learn more about Dr. Chhabra.
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2010 – 2011 President, Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- 2010 Charles W. Miller Chief Resident Teaching Award, University of Virginia, Department of Orthopaedics
- September 2009 Appointed to the Executive Council of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Board Member at Large
- June 2009 Charles J. Frankel Endowed Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery
- May 2009 President-Elect, Virginia Orthopaedic Society June 2008 Induction into the American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- 2007 - 2013 "Best Doctors in America" Award
- 2007 Recipient of the University of Virginia Master Educator Award
- 2006 Recipient of the University of Virginia School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2006 Inducted into the Academy of Distinguished Educators
- 2006 Charles W. Miller Chief Resident Teaching Award, University of Virginia, Department of Orthopaedics
- 2006 Best Lecturer Award, Colorado Orthopaedic Review Course
- 2006 Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, Career Development Award
- 2004 Robert Pruner Resident Teaching Award, University of Virginia, Department of Orthopaedics