Adam L Shimer, MDPractice Area: Orthopedics, Neurosciences & Behavioral Health Department: Orthopaedic Surgery Division: Spine Surgery Title: Associate Professor ABMS Certification: Orthopedic Surgery Other Appointment: Fellowship Director - Spinal Surgery Medial Director - Orthopedic Surgery Inpatient Unit
Contact InformationPrimary Location:
Spine Center Third Floor Suite 3100 415 Ray C. Hunt Dr. Charlottesville, VA 22908 Phone: 434.243.3633 | Fax: 434.243.1539
Dr. Shimer is excited to return to UVA where he received undergraduate and medical degrees. He completed orthopedic residency at the University of Pittsburgh and a spinal surgery fellowship at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia. His clinical areas of interest include the treatment of complex and revision cervical spine conditions and adult spinal deformity. His basic science research has been in the area of genetic and cellular treatment of degenerative disc disease.
Outside of work, he spends time with his wife, two children and dog, Linus. The Shimer family enjoys travelling, the outdoors and gardening.
Complex Cervical Spine Surgery, Adult Spinal Deformity, Minimally Invasive Treatment of Spinal Conditions
- 2015 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2013 Nominee for North American Spine Society Value Award
- 2012 Runner-up North American Spine Society / The Spine Journal Outstanding Paper Award
- 2012 Virginia Orthopaedic Society 65th Annual Meeting - Best Poster Award
- 2011 AO Spine North AmericaYoung Investigator Research Award 2009
- AO Spine North America 7th Annual Fellows Forum, 1st Place
- 2004 North American Spine Society / The Spine Journal Outstanding Paper Award 2
- 2004 Cervical Spine Research Society 1st Place Fielding Resident/Fellow Research Award
- 2005 The Pittsburgh Foundation Dr. Albert B. Ferguson, Jr. Orthopaedic Fund
- 2002 Gratton Alexander Litz III Award