Alan H Matsumoto, MD
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Radiology and Medical Imaging
- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine, 1983; Diagnostic Radiology, 1987; Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, 1995
- Research Interests:
Stents, clinic outcomes
- Clinical Practice:
- Cerebral (Brain or Intracranial) Aneurysm, Uterine Fibroids (Fibromyoma), Fibromuscular Dysplasia, Focused Ultrasound for Uterine Fibroids, Uterine Artery Embolization, Vascular Malformations, Artery Disease, Vein Diseases, Interventional Radiology
Chair, Department of Radiology
Alan H. Matsumoto, M.D. FSIR, FACR, FAHA, received his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees from the University of California at Santa Barbara, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi Honor Societies. After completing his medical degree in 1980 from Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University and being elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Dr. Matsumoto completed residencies in internal medicine at the University of Massachusetts and diagnostic radiology at the University of North Carolina. He also had additional fellowship training in vascular and interventional radiology at Georgetown University. Dr. Matsumoto is board certified in internal medicine, diagnostic radiology and cardiovascular and interventional radiology.
His clinical practice includes image-guided, minimally invasive therapy for arterial occlusive and aneurysmal disease inclusive of abdominal and thoracic aortic stent grafts; renal, peripheral, and mesenteric vascular disease; fibromuscular dysplasia of the renal arteries; DVT and PE thrombolysis and mechanical thrombectomy; IVC filters; embolization and MR guided focused ultrasound therapy for fibroids and other tumors.
He is a professor of radiology and chair of the Department of Radiology at the University of Virginia. He has pioneered many novel and innovative, minimally invasive, image-guided procedures during his 20 years at the University of Virginia, many of which have become incorporated into practice at many nationally recognized medical facilities. He has published more than 180 articles and book chapters and has trained more than 100 residents and fellows. His patient-oriented, multidisciplinary collaboration with other medical specialists has led to optimization of care in patients with complex diseases.
- 2015-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Honorable Mention, Radiology
- Bowman Gray Medical School, Wake Forest University, 1980
- Internal Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical Center 1980-1983; Diagnostic Radiology, University of North Carolina, 1983-1987
- Interventional Radiology, Georgetown University, 1987-1988