- ABMS Certification:
- Research Interests:
Transplantation of HIV-positive patients, transplant dermatology, CKD following nonrenal transplantation
- Clinical Practice:
- Pancreas Transplant, Kidney Transplant, Dual Kidney Transplant
Dr. Alden Doyle is a transplant nephrologist and medical director of the Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Program at UVA. He is a professor of nephrology, in which he is board-certified.
Dr. Doyle was born in Montevideo, Uruguay, while his parents served in the Peace Corps; his childhood took him around the world, though he spent the largest amount of time in the Chicagoland area. Dr. Doyle completed his undergraduate, medical and master’s in public health degrees at Tulane University, followed by a second graduate degree in immunology at the University of Pennsylvania. His residency in internal medicine took place at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, followed by fellowship in nephrology at the University of Pennsylvania. He then joined the UPenn faculty for nearly a decade before taking a role as medical director of kidney and pancreas transplantation at Drexel University. In 2016, he joined the faculty at UVA.
In his clinical work, Dr. Doyle specializes in combined and sequential transplant, as well as patients who develop kidney disease following nonrenal organ transplantation, such as bone marrow, lung and heart transplants. He also has a clinical interest in transitions of care, such as pediatric transplant patients transitioning into adulthood. Dr. Doyle’s research interests include preventing infections around the transplant period and transplantation of HIV-positive individuals.
Outside of work, Dr. Doyle enjoys spending time with his family — his daughter, son and wife, who is also a transplant nephrologist at UVA.
Vice Chief, Transplant, Division of Nephrology, University of Virginia. 4/17- present
- Harold Cumming Award for Best Overall Clinician – Tulane Medical School, Class of ‘94
- Harry & Rose Caplovitz Award for Outstanding Student in Internal Medicine, Tulane Medical School, Class of ’94
- Outstanding Discussion Group Leader Award- Penn Medical School 2001
- Key ACGME Clinical Faculty University of Pennsylvania 2004-6/30/07
- Measey Teaching Fellow (15% salary support), University of Pennsylvania 2004-12/2007
- Penn Pearls Faculty Teaching Award, University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- J. Russell Elkinton Faculty Teaching Award, University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- National Award for Service, President Bharrat Jagdeo, Guyana 2011
- Top Docs Philadelphia, Castle Connelly 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Philadelphia Super Doctors designation 2012, 2013, 2016
- Charles Schwartz Award for Excellence in Teaching, Drexel University 2014
- Best Doctors, Philadelphia Life Magazine designation 2015
- Best Doctors in America 2017-2020
- Teaching Excellence Award, University of Virginia, Division of Nephrology 2018
- Award for Excellence in Clinical Care, University of Virginia, Department of Medicine 2018
- Tulane University
- University of Texas - Southwestern
- University of Pennsylvania