- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
- Research Interests:
Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for gastrointestinal polyps
Interventional endoscopic ultrasound based therapies
Esophageal and gastric per-oral endoscopic myotomy
Metabolic and Bariatric endoscopy
- Clinical Practice:
- Achalasia Treatment, Acute Pancreatitis, Bile Duct Cancer, Pancreatic Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Colonoscopy, ERCP, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Upper GI Endoscopy, Gastrointestinal Cancer, Pancreatic Cysts
- Assistant Professor
Alexander Podboy, MD, specializes in endoscopic procedures, which include inserting a long, flexible tube (endoscope) with a camera down the throat and into the food pipe (esophagus). Endoscopes are used to see the esophagus, stomach, and small intestines.
Dr. Podboy’s expertise includes endoscopic ultrasound-based procedures and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). ERCP uses an endoscope and X-ray to diagnose and treat problems in the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, and pancreas. He also performs endoscopic myotomy-based procedures to treat swallowing problems without an incision and endoscopic weight-loss procedures, including endoscopic intragastric balloon placement and endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty.
When he treats patients, Dr. Podboy works to, “cure sometimes, relieve often, and comfort always.”
Dr. Podboy attended Youngstown State University as part of a 6-year combined BS/MD program at Northeast Ohio Medical University. He completed gastroenterology and hepatology training at Stanford University and an interventional gastroenterology fellowship at Cedars Sinai Medical Center.
In his free time, he enjoys traveling, Cleveland sports, trying new recipes, and spending time with his wife and family.
- Northeast Ohio Medical University, 2014
- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education, Internal Medicine Stanford University Hospital, Internal Medicine: Gastroenterology