- ABMS Certification:
- Psychiatry & Neurology - General Neurology
- Research Interests:
Cervical artery dissection (carotid and vertebral artery dissection)
- Clinical Practice:
- Cerebral (Brain or Intracranial) Aneurysm, Cluster Headache, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) (Mini-stroke), Ischemic Stroke, Stroke, Neurology Services
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
Andrew Mebane Southerland is an assistant professor in the Division of Vascular Neurology, Departments of Neurology and Public Health Sciences in the University of Virginia Health System. Dr. Southerland hails from eastern North Carolina where his family still lives in the town of Morehead City. He graduated magna cum laude with a B.S. in zoology from North Carolina State University, and attended the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University as a prestigious Brody Scholar. As a medical student, he won multiple academic awards including the AAN Medical Student Prize for Excellence in Neurology and induction into Alpha Omega Alpha. Dr. Southerland did his internship in internal medicine at Carolinas Medical Center where he was named the Arnold R. Frazier Intern of the Year. He then completed neurology residency training at the University of Virginia where he served as chief resident and won multiple residency teaching awards.
During his vascular neurology fellowship at UVA, Dr. Southerland completed a Master of Science in clinical research through the UVA Department of Public Health Sciences. His various research interests include genetics of cervical artery dissection and other non-atherosclerotic vasculopathies, stroke and related health disparities in rural and underserved communities, novel rural telestroke applications and acute stroke clinical trials. In addition to his research portfolio, Dr. Southerland serves as the Residency Program Director in the UVA Department of Neurology. He lives with his wife and daughter in Charlottesville, VA.
- East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, NC 2006
- University of VA School of Medicine (Neurology)
- University of VA School of Medicine (Vascular Neurology)