Anita H Clayton, MD
- Inpatient Psychiatry, Outpatient Psychiatry
- Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences
- ABMS Certification:
- Psychiatry and Neurology - Active
- Research Interests:
Psychopharmacology|Sexual dysfunction with psychiatric illness and treatment|Sexual disorders|Depressive disorders associated with the female reproductive cycle
- Clinical Practice:
- Anxiety Disorders, Menopause, Postpartum Depression, Psychosexual Dysfunction, Psychiatry Services - Adult, Transgender Services
Dr. Anita Clayton’s clinical practice and research interests focus on women’s mental health and sexual dysfunctions. She is the David C. Wilson Professor and Chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, with a secondary appointment as professor of clinical obstetrics and gynecology. She is board certified in psychiatry and neurology.
Dr. Clayton was born in Pensacola, FL, where her father was stationed as a Navy pilot; she grew up traveling throughout the world for her father’s assignments. She finished high school in Virginia Beach and then attended the University of Virginia for her undergraduate and medical degrees. She also completed her internship and residency in behavioral medicine and psychiatry at UVA. Dr. Clayton then served as a U.S. Navy physician for four years before returning to join the faculty at UVA in 1990.
Married for 34 years, Dr. Clayton has a son, a daughter and three stepsons. She enjoys traveling and the arts.
- 2019-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- University of Virginia, 1982
- Psychiatry, University of Virginia