- ABMS Certification:
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Research Interests:
Vertebral augmentation, cerebral aneurysm treatments, carotid artery stenting
- Clinical Practice:
- Arteriovenous Malformations (AVMs), Cerebral (Brain or Intracranial) Aneurysm, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) (Mini-stroke), Ischemic Stroke, Balloon Kyphoplasty, Angiography, Vertebroplasty, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Endovascular Embolization, Neuroradiology, Stroke, Spine, Skull Base Conditions, Cerebral Angiography, Endovascular Coiling, Carotid Stenting with Angioplasty
A long-time member of the Neurointerventional Surgery team, Avery Evans, MD, is internationally recognized for his expertise in cerebrovascular disease, especially carotid stenting and venous sinus stenting for intracranial hypertension as well as diseases of the vessels and bones of the spine.
Dr. Evans is one of the most experienced practitioners of carotid artery stenting in the country and has been part of every major carotid stenting clinical trial in the last 20 years. He is also an expert in the art of venous sinus stenting for intracranial hypertension and intracranial stenting for atherosclerotic disease. Dr. Evans has been involved in pioneering treatments of cerebral aneurysms, and he was an early adopter of flow diversion techniques, which he teaches to other surgeons around the country. In addition, Dr. Evans was one of the inventors of vertebroplasty (a minimally invasive procedure for stabilizing compression fractures in the spine).
Over the past 20 years, Dr. Evans has treated thousands of cerebral aneurysms and other cerebrovascular abnormalities and performed over 3,000 vertebroplasties and many thousands of cerebral angiograms. He has published more than 130 articles, book chapters and scientific abstracts in the neuroscience literature and has lectured at over 110 national and international meetings.
Born in Virginia, Dr. Evans attended the University of Virginia where he received the highest honors. He attended medical school and completed his residency at Duke University and completed his fellowship training in diagnostic neuroradiology and neurointerventional surgery at the University of Virginia in 1996.
- 2011-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- Duke University School of Medicine, 1989
- Diagnostic Radiology, Duke University
- Neurointerventional Radiology, University of Virginia