Binit B Shah, MD
- General Neurology Appointment
- ABMS Certification:
- Research Interests:
Parkinson’s Disease, tremor, deep brain stimulation, focused ultrasound
- Clinical Practice:
- Essential Tremor, Hemifacial Spasm, Huntington's Disease, Lewy Body Disease, Parkinson's and Movement Disorders, Parkinson's Disease, Tourette Syndrome, Focal Dystonia, Deep Brain Stimulation, Focused Ultrasound, Neurology Services
- Associate Professor
Dr. Shah is a native of Cary, North Carolina. He attended Duke University where he pursued a bachelors in Economics and Computer Science. He then attended Wake Forest University for medical school. He completed his neurology residency at Northwestern University in Chicago, followed by additional fellowship training in Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders and deep brain stimulation at the Toronto Western Hospital.
He joined the faculty at University of Virginia in 2012. He also has a botulinum toxin clinic for delivering treatment for dystonia, hemifacial spasm and spasticity. He has specialized training in deep brain stimulation for use in Parkinson’s, dystonia, tremor and other indications and is part of the multidisciplinary movement disorders surgical clinic, led by Dr. Jeffrey Elias in neurosurgery.
Dr. Shah is also involved in medical student and resident education. He was awarded the outstanding teacher award by the neurology residents at UVA in 2013 and serves as the associate director of the neurology residency training program.
- 2019-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- Wake Forest School of Medicine 2005
- Northwestern University (Neurology)
- University of Toronto/Toronto Western Hospital (Movement Disorders Neurology and Deep Brain Stimulation)