Bryan G. Sauer, MD
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine, 2006
- Research Interests:
Barrett's Esophagus, Quality and Efficiency in Endoscopy, Pancreas Cystic Neoplasms
- Clinical Practice:
- Achalasia Treatment, Colon Cancer, Esophageal Cancer, Pancreatic Cancer, Rectal Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Dysphagia, Colonoscopy, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, GERD, PEG Procedure, Upper GI Endoscopy, Small Intestine Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancer, Eosinophilic Esophagitis, Endoscopy
- Associate Professor
Dr. Sauer grew up in Oconomowoc, WI and graduated from Western Michigan University before attending medical school at the University of Wisconsin. He moved to Charlottesville, VA, to pursue residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in gastroenterology at the University of Virginia. During fellowship, he also obtained a Master of Science in Clinical Research from UVA. Following his fellowship, he completed a year of advanced endoscopy training at UVA and joined the faculty in 2010.
His practice focuses primarily on eosinophilic esophagitis, endoscopic ultrasound, Barrett’s esophagus, and advanced endoscopic procedures. In 2016 he founded the UVA Adult Multidisciplinary Eosinophilic Esophagitis Program. Additionally, with interest in international medicine, Dr. Sauer started a Guatemala Endoscopy Program in 2019 and leads clinical care teams on a regular basis.
Outside of work, he enjoys time with his wife Betsy and his three children.
2020 Fellow, American Gastroenterological Association
2019 Fellow, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
2017 Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology
- 2016 Excellence in Teaching, Department of Medicine
- 2015 Excellence in Critical Care, Department of Medicine
- 2015 Leadership in Academic Matters Fellow, University of Virginia Office of the Provost
- 2013 Endoscopy Teacher of the Year, University of Virginia
- University of Wisconsin, 2002
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia, 2003-2006
- Gastroenterology, University of Virginia, 2006-2009