- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Anesthesiology, 1982
- Research Interests:
Mechanisms of anesthetic action and cytoprotection, cardiovascular physiology, ion channel and cell signaling pathways
- Professor of Anesthesiology
Carl Lynch, MD, PhD, is a professor of anesthesiology. He was born in Syracuse, New York, and attended Houghton College in western New York State. He earned his medical degree and a PhD in physiology from the University of Rochester; he then came to UVA for a residency in anesthesiology. After completing his training, he joined the faculty at UVA in 1981 as an assistant professor, and established an NIH-funded laboratory studying molecular actions of anesthetic agents. He became a professor in 1993 and served as department chair from 1999-2005.
Since 2003, Dr. Lynch has spent a week in late summer and in the spring providing anesthetic care to patients at Mission of Hope in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. He continues active clinical practice at UVA and also serves as a reviewer and editor for various journals.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- University of Rochester, 1978
- Anesthesiology, University of Virginia
- Clinical Investigator, University of Rochester, 1971-77; Physiology, 1978