Christopher M Kramer, MDDepartment: Medicine, Radiology and Medical Imaging Division: Cardiovascular Medicine, Noninvasive Cardiovascular Imaging Title: Ruth C. Heede Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine ABMS Certification: Internal Medicine; Cardiovascular Diseases Other Appointment: Medical Director, Cardiovascular Imaging Center
Contact InformationPrimary Location:
Heart and Vascular Center Second Floor 1215 Lee St. Charlottesville, VA 22908 Phone: 434.243.0736 Other Locations:
Radiology and Medical Imaging
Heart and Vascular Center Fontaine
After receiving his AB from Harvard and his MD from the University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Kramer completed his residency and chief residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in cardiology at the University of Pennsylvania. His first faculty appointment was at Allegheny General Hospital, MCP/Hahnemann School of Medicine, where he directed the cardiology fellowship program. In 1999, he moved to the University of Virginia where he became the Ruth C. Heede professor of cardiology, a professor of radiology and the director of the cardiovascular imaging center. Dr. Kramer’s area of clinical expertise includes clinical cardiology, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and cardiovascular imaging using MRI, CT and ultrasound.
Dr. Kramer’s principal research interest has been in the application of cardiovascular magnetic resonance to the cardiovascular system. He has published nearly 200 peer-reviewed publications, three books and over 100 book chapters, editorials and reviews in the area of left ventricular remodeling and myocardial viability, atherosclerotic plaque imaging, peripheral arterial disease and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. His research is supported by the NIH.
Dr. Kramer directs a NIBIB-funded cardiovascular imaging T32 fellowship training program. He is presently a member of the board of trustees of the American College of Cardiology (ACC). He has served as president of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR), chair of the imaging council of the ACC and a member and chair of the clinical and integrative cardiovascular sciences NIH study section. He is presently the deputy editor of JACC cardiovascular imaging, the associate editor of JACC and a member of the editorial boards of Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging, Journal of the American Heart Association, Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and Vascular Medicine. He is also a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of University Cardiologists. In 2015, he won the gold medal of the SCMR.
Outside of his academic practice, Dr. Kramer enjoys a wide variety of sports including tennis, golf, swimming, skiing and biking. He also enjoys music and spending time with his family in the great outdoors.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2015 Academy of Radiology Research Distinguished Investigator Award
- 2015 Gold Medal, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- 2014 UVA Dean’s Award for Excellence in Team Science Research
- 2013 UVA Department of Medicine Award for Outstanding Mentorship
- 2012 UVA Department of Medicine Award for Outstanding Research
- 2010 Association of University Cardiologists
- 2010 Simon Dack Award, Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- 2006 American Society of Clinical Investigation
- 2004 Elite Reviewer, Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- 2004 J. Edwin Wood Jr. Teaching Award, University of Virginia Cardiovascular Division
- 1999 Merck Angiotensin II Young Investigator's Award
- 1996 Claude R. Joyner Cardiovascular Scholar, Allegheny General Hospital
- 1982 Magna Cum Laude 1985 Alpha Omega Alpha, elected as a junior
- 1981 Rhodes and Marshall Scholarship Finalist
- 1981 Phi Beta Kappa, elected as a junior