- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Radiology (Radiation Oncology)
- Research Interests:
Dr. McLaughlin is interested in leveraging adaptive radiotherapy to reduce toxicity from treatment and to improve patient outcomes, particularly in the setting of head and neck cancer. In addition, he has focused on the comparative costs of various interventions for cancer, utilizing activity-based costing analyses. His research has resulted in multiple peer-reviewed publications and national meeting presentations. He also has a strong interest in medical education.
- Clinical Practice:
- Prostate Cancer Treatment, Testicular Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Brachytherapy, Head & Neck Cancer, Urologic Cancer, Palliative Care
- Assistant Professor
As a radiation oncologist, Christopher McLaughlin, MD, uses radiation therapy to treat cancer. He specializes in treating head and neck cancers, skin cancer, and genitourinary malignancies, including prostate cancer. But like many radiation oncologists, he is able to treat many different types of solid tumors. He has expertise in several kinds of treatment including:
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy
- Volumetric modulated arc therapies
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for brain tumors
- Prostate brachytherapy
- Breast brachytherapy
- Gynecologic brachytherapy
Dr. McLaughlin was born in New Haven and grew up in southern New England. He attended Boston College, where he studied theology. He fell in love with Boston and remained there to attend medical school at Tufts University.
He joined UVA in 2020 after completing his radiation oncology residency training at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he served as chief resident.
Dr. McLaughlin lives in Fluvanna County with his loyal black lab mix, Scout. “I absolutely love it here. On sunny days, you can find us out on the beautiful trails around Charlottesville and Shenandoah,” he shares. “As a New Englander, I grew up around the water and on the slopes, and I continue to enjoy swimming and skiing.”
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- Virginia Commonwealth University