- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine
- Research Interests:
Focus on clinical trials in lymphomas. Special interest in determining optimal combinations and timing of targeted agents in B-cell leukemias and lymphomas.
- Clinical Practice:
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Hodgkin Lymphoma, Chemotherapy, Immunotherapy (Biological Therapy), Lymphoma, Blood Cancers, Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia
- Associate Professor
Dr. Portell holds a clinical faculty appointment in medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at the University of Virginia. He practices at the Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center in Charlottesville and serves as an inpatient hematologist at UVA Health. He attended medical school at Saint Louis University in St. Louis, MO, and completed internal medicine residency at Loyola University Hospital near Chicago, IL. He completed fellowship in Hematology and Medical Oncology at the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, in 2013, where he was chief fellow from 2012-2013.
Dr. Portell joined UVA in 2013. He lives with his wife and enjoys playing with his small dog, exercising, traveling and exploring new cuisines.
- 2019-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2015-2017 Lymphoma Research Foundation Lymphoma Clinical Research Mentoring Program Scholar
- Saint Louis University 2006
- Loyola University- Chicago (Internal Medicine) 2009
- Cleveland Clinic - Taussig Cancer Institute (Hematology and Medical Oncology) 2013