- ABMS Certification:
- Gastroenterology, 1993
- Research Interests:
Colorectal cancer screening, advanced polypectomy techniques, endoscopy quality
- Clinical Practice:
- Colon Cancer, Rectal Cancer, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy
Cynthia Yoshida, MD, was born and raised in Southern California. She received her undergraduate degree at the University of California, Davis, and her medical degree from the University of Kansas in Kansas City, KS. She completed her gastroenterology fellowship training at the University of Virginia Health Sciences Center. She is board certified in gastroenterology and a fellow of the American Gastroenterological Association.
Dr. Yoshida is a gastroenterologist, professor, and medical lead for the University of Virginia Cancer Center CRC Screening Program. She also co-chairs the Virginia Colorectal Cancer Roundtable. A longtime advocate for colorectal cancer screening, Dr. Yoshida has led the development of a multifaceted colorectal cancer screening program at UVA to enable improved access to quality screening for employees, patients, and under resourced communities across Virginia. Dr. Yoshida has chaired and served on a number of committees for the American Gastroenterological Association (AGA).
She is an active member of the American College of Gastroenterology and American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE). She has been an invited speaker to numerous national and international conferences and endoscopy courses. Her early career focused on gastroenterology (GI) diseases in women. She was director of UVA’s Women’s GI Clinic (one of the first women’s GI clinics in the nation) and author of No More Digestive Problems, the AGA’s first consumer book specifically designed to address women’s digestive health.
- National Colorectal Roundtable 80% in Every Community National Achievement Award – Individual Champion Category, 2021
- UVA Patient Experience Award, 2020
- ACG Scopy Award – Best Community Service Delivery, 2019
- Sharon L. Hostler Women in Medicine Leadership Award, 2017
- UVA Academy of Distinguished Educators, 2003
- UVA Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence, 1998
- UVA Dean’s Award for Clinical Excellence, 1997
- American Gastroenterological Association Advanced Research Training Award, 1993
- University of Kansas School of Medicine, 1987
- Internal Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Gastroenterology, University of Virginia