Erika J. Axeen, MD
- Pediatric Neurology
- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Neurology)
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Epilepsy)
- Clinical Practice:
- Epilepsy Care, Seizures and Epilepsy- Pediatric, Epilepsy Surgery, Neurocutaneous Disorders, Electroencephalogram (EEG), Neurology Services, Pediatric Neurology, Tuberous Sclerosis, Ketogenic Diet- Pediatrics
- Assistant Professor
Erika Axeen, MD, is a neurologist who specializes in evaluating and managing seizures and epilepsy in children. She has a particular interest in the clinical diagnosis and management of genetic epilepsies, including brain malformations. In the inpatient setting, Axeen sees children as part of the pediatric neurology team, and she cares for both children and adults as part of the inpatient epilepsy team. In addition, she is associate director of the multidisciplinary tuberous sclerosis clinic.
Born and raised in Ames, Iowa, where her father was a college professor, Axeen studied biological sciences with a minor in art history during her undergraduate training at University of Iowa. She completed medical school at the University of Iowa before moving to Charlottesville for residency training in pediatric neurology. She did a fellowship at Boston Children’s Hospital in epilepsy and epilepsy genetics and, once complete, returned to UVA in 2017.
In her free time, Axeen enjoys hiking in the mountains with her family.
Additional conditions Dr. Axeen sees patients are for:
- Medically refractory epilepsy
- Consideration of dietary therapy for epilepsy
- Second opinions of epilepsy
- University of Iowa
- University of Virginia
- Boston Children's Hospital