F. Winston Gwathmey Jr., MD
- Research Interests:
Knee ligament injuries, hip injuries in athletes, shoulder instability
- Clinical Practice:
- ACL Injury, Adhesive Capsulitis (Frozen Shoulder), Ankle Sprain, Patella Fracture (Broken Kneecap), Calcific Tendonitis of the Shoulder, Chronic Compartment Syndrome (CCS), De Quervain's Tenosynovitis (Stenosing Tenosynovitis or Washerwoman's Sprain), Floating Shoulder, Hip Labral Tears, Meniscal Tear, Muscle Strain, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee), Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury (PCL tear), Rotator Cuff Injury, Achilles Tendon Rupture, Shoulder Dislocation, Shoulder Instability, Shoulder Labral Tear, Sprain, Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Surgery, Clavicle Fracture (Broken Collarbone), Shin Splint, Shoulder Tendinopathy, Sports Medicine
- Assistant Professor
Dr. Gwathmey joined the Sports Medicine Division of the University of Virginia Department of Orthopaedic Surgery in 2013. After completing his Orthopaedic Surgery residency training at UVA, he underwent fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School. In Boston, he was an assistant team physician for the New England Patriots and also worked closely with the medical staff for the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins. Dr. Gwathmey subsequently obtained additional hip arthroscopy training in Nashville, TN, with Dr. Thomas Byrd who is universally recognized as a pioneer in hip arthroscopy.
Dr. Gwathmey specializes in sports medicine and hip arthroscopy. This includes the diagnosis and treatment of athletic injuries and conditions of the shoulder, hip, knee and foot/ankle. He is a team physician for UVA and James Madison University athletics as well as numerous high school teams. He is also active in medical student and resident education winning numerous teaching awards. Dr. Gwathmey is the associate residency program director and medical student clerkship director. His research interests include clinical outcomes after shoulder, hip and knee arthroscopy, biomechanical analysis of the hip and knee joint and the natural history of femoroacetabular impingement.
Dr. Gwathmey lives in the Charlottesville area with his wife, Kelly, daughter, Cate, and son, Robert. He and his family are thrilled to live here and enjoy exploring Charlottesville and the beautiful surrounding area. They are always looking for new things to do and places to see. They have family in Virginia and North Carolina and try to spend time with them whenever possible.
- 2014 Charles Miller Resident Teaching Award
- 2012 Mulholland Medical Student Teaching Award
- 2011 100th Percentile Score, Orthopaedic In-Training Exam
- 2011 Resident Leadership Forum, American Orthopaedic Association
- 2010 Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma Best Teaching Resident
- 2007 Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Academic Honor Society
- Eastern Virginia Medical School 2007
- University of VA School of Medicine (Orthopaedic Surgery)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Orthopaedic Sports Medicine)