- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine
- Research Interests:
Dr. El Chaer’s research interests focus on improving the outcomes for acute leukemia in adults by focusing on targeted therapies and overcoming resistance mechanisms.
- Clinical Practice:
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Aplastic anemia, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), Polycythemia vera, Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, Blood Disorders, CMML Leukemia, Blood Cancers
- Assistant Professor
Firas El Chaer, MD, is an assistant professor of medicine who specializes in hematology and oncology. His clinical areas of interest are acute leukemia, chronic leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, myeloproliferative disorders, aplastic anemia, clonal hematopoiesis and blood disorders. His research focuses on improving outcomes for acute leukemia in adults by focusing on targeted therapies and overcoming resistance mechanisms.
El Chaer attended medical school at the University of Balamand in Beirut, Lebanon, and completed his internal medicine residency at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Englewood program in New Jersey, where he served as chief resident from 2013-2014. He then completed a fellowship in infectious diseases for immune-compromised cancer patients at the combined program of Baylor College of Medicine and MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. El Chaer pursued a fellowship in hematology and oncology with a focus on blood disorders and also completed a built-in fellowship in stem cell transplantation at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, where he served as a chief fellow from 2018-2019.
El Chaer joined the UVA faculty 2019. He lives in Charlottesville and enjoys outdoor activities, particularly backpacking. He also enjoys road cycling and is an avid CrossFitter.
- 2018 Fellow Teaching Award: Awarded for distinguished teaching skills, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- 2012 Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award: Awarded for distinguished compassion and excellence in medical teaching, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- 2012 Arnold P. Gold Foundation Outstanding Resident Role Model Award: Awarded for exemplary service and integrity, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- University of Balamand
- Englewood Hospital and Medical Center
- Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Infectious Disease; University of Maryland Medical Center - Hematology and Oncology