Francis Shen, MDPractice Area: Orthopedics, Neurosciences Department: Orthopaedic Surgery Division: Spine Surgery Title: Professor ABMS Certification: Orthopedic Surgery-General, 2005
Contact InformationPrimary Location:
Spine Center Third Floor Suite 3100 415 Ray C. Hunt Dr. Charlottesville, VA 22908 Phone: 434.243.3633 | Fax: 434.243.0382
The goal of Dr. Shen's practice to provide care for patients with spinal pathology through a combination of both operative and nonoperative means. When surgery is required Dr. Shen combines both traditional open surgical techniques with cutting-edge minimal invasive techniques individualized to the patient's specific spine pathology. Furthermore, Dr. Shen's laboratory is improving the future of patient care by applying tissue engineering principles to solve clinically relevant problems. He is dedicated to advancing the future of spine surgery by training not only post-doctorate research fellows, but also to training the next generation of clinical spine surgeons as well.
Surgery of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbosacral spine including anterior and posterior approaches. Management of degenerative conditions, spinal deformity, trauma, tumors, and infections of the spine. In addition to traditional open surgery, Dr. Shen also specializes in minimally invasive surgery, image guided spine surgery, and microsurgery.
Watch this video to learn more about Dr. Shen.
- 2009 Scoliosis Research Society Traveling Fellowship
- 2008 Young Investigator Award, Spine
- 2007 Academy of Distinguished Educators
- 2007 VOS Best Paper Award
- 2007 Outstanding Clinical Paper, Spine Journal
- 2007 Outstanding Basic Science Winner, Spine Journal
- 2006 Outstanding Basic Science Winner, Spine Journal
- 2005 US Bone Joint, Decade Young Participant
- 2004 North American Spine Society Traveling
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- 2003 Cervical Spine Research Society Basic Science Award-3rd place
- 2002 Charles W. Miller Orthopaedic Teaching Award
- 2001 Leonard Marmor Surgical Arthritis Foundation Award